At year’s end, we would like to express our gratitude to everyone in our community who is part of the How’s Nashville movement:
- Our number one thank you always goes out to all the partners in the How’s Nashville movement who work diligently on assisting people experiencing homelessness transition from shelter or street to permanent supportive housing.
- All the residents and partner organizations – especially from Fairfield Inn & Suites, Downtown at the Gulch , the Community Resource Center, and the East Park Community Center – who made our monthly residents meeting a great success throughout 2015!
- All the landlords who worked with our partner agencies to help house 890 homeless Veterans and people experiencing chronic homelessness between January and November of 2015 (December numbers have not been calculated yet).
- All the donors who supported the How’s Nashville efforts by giving more than $78,000 in private funding directly to the How’s Nashville fund. This contribution does not count the numerous donations and volunteer efforts to partner agencies that diligently work toward assisting people with housing. Even though, our How’s Nashville fund fell a little short this year and we were unable to cover all the requests – we were able to assist many, many residents with move-in costs this year. Thank you! You helped us remove the last barriers to housing for a lot of people.
- And of course, we want to thank all the people who are still struggling with homelessness for their patience and their willingness to work with our partners, even when we have not figured out everything yet. Thank you and please help us improve our system, so that we get to the point where we, as a community, are able to assist any person who falls into homelessness by making it brief, rare, and non-recurring,
All of you combined is our community’s How’s Nashville movement! Thank you!
Over the past two and a half years all donations supporting the How’s Nashville community campaign to end chronic and Veteran homelessness came from the private sector, and 100% of the money has been used to cover security and utility deposits (NES, water, gas), first month rent, furniture and household items, and some backpay.
With your help, we can break the cycle of chronic homelessness for many of our fellow Nashvillians. Thanks to these contributions, our community partners (How’s Nashville) have been able to assist 1,500 people with permanent housing.
This year alone, an average of 54 people experiencing chronic homelessness have moved into permanent housing. This number is about triple the housing placement rate prior to the How’s Nashville campaign. The current housing retention rate is about 80%.
We spend an average of $600 per person on move-in costs and have a limit of $1,000 per person in assistance. Our partner agencies apply for this money directly for clients who experience chronic homelessness and are considered among the most vulnerable people living in Nashville’s streets and shelters.
Please consider a donation to the How’s Nashville fund as your year-end gift to our community – there is no administration cost that will be deducted from it and 100% of every dollar you send will benefit a person in need.
You can donate online or you can make out a check to “How’s Nashville” and mail it to the Metropolitan Homelessness Commission, attn: Will Connelly, PO Box 196300, Nashville, TN 37219-6300.
October was our community’s record month of 2015 in terms of housing people experiencing chronic homelessness! Thank you to all our How’s Nashville partners for working so hard on helping the most vulnerable individuals, families, and veterans experiencing homelessness in Nashville!
A total of 108 people were assisted with permanent supportive housing in October. Of those, 86 experienced chronic homelessness and 26 are Veterans.